Thursday, July 30, 2009

How can I transition from being a software developer to manager?

I've been a software developer for a number of years, and in my last two jobs, I found that I was smarter than my manager, or even VP of Engineering, and can do their job better than them. I've tried applying for management jobs at other companies, and nobody takes my resume seriously since I haven't been a manager. I don't have an MBA, and don't plan on getting one. Any suggestions?

How can I transition from being a software developer to manager?
I'd suggest trying to take on more leadership roles. If you don't have an opportunity in your current job, do it in volunteer or club roles. Manage a charity event or something to show your management ability.





One group you may want to considering joining meetings of is PMI in order to make contacts with project managers. They are a global group, so there is probably one in your area. If you want to take some training classes through them you can become CAPM certified which is one step closer to PMP certification and typically well recognized.





Also, I'd recommend listening to the pod-casts from manager-tools.com. They have great advice for new managers and have an active forum where you could ask questions of other managers about how they got where they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment